Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Assignment 4.1 6/23/2015



 Prompt Generator 6/23/15:
Do you love or hate math?  Answer this question with a piece of writing.

Math is a bittersweet concept to me. On one hand it is very applicable in real life and on another it has many complex learning curves that, let’s face it, you are never going to use. I in no way shape or form enjoy doing math. It takes me hours to figure out one type of problem, and by the time I comprehend one part of a problem the class has already moved on to another part. I do not even like to do simple math, such as 9 + 5 or 3 x 8. People will often ask me a math related question and expect me to figure it out quickly. I usually respond with an “I am not doing math today” with a half-smile on my face. I find it interesting that when people find out I am in school they suddenly seem to expect me to be a math whiz. Just because I am in college does not automatically make me good at math. I have struggled with math my whole life, I chalk it up to the fact that I did not have very good teachers to teach me the basics. My fourth grade teacher was going through a divorce and decided to tell the students about her trials and troubles, and my fifth grade teacher was retiring that year and did not care whether we were learning anything or not. I did not learn much in these critical years of learning. I suppose if I had been taught well early on I may have been more accepting of math later on in my life. What can I say, for some people math skills come naturally and for some not so much. Never the less I have become much better at math, and will continue to educate myself in the mechanics of mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment