Friday, July 10, 2015

Friday 7/10/2015 blog post



Friday 7/10/2015 blog post

Daily prompt generator: "What holiday drives you nuts?  Think of a holiday people fuss over.  Write about either loving or hating that holiday."

There is one holiday in particular that occurs on October 12 that I cannot stand, Columbus Day. This is one subject I am very passionate about. You may think what beef could you possibly have with Columbus Day? There are two reasons I hate Columbus Day. 

11.  Christopher Columbus was not the first person to discover America. The Vikings came to America many years before Columbus did.
22. Christopher Columbus was a murder and a marauder. He did many bad things to the Native Americans. He would enslave the natives and force them to do whatever he wanted. He also tortured and killed many Native Americans. 

The atrocities Columbus and his men committed should not be celebrated. He was known to be involved of acts of cruelty, and murder. He also allowed his men to do whatever they wanted with the natives. I have no idea how this “holiday” ever came about. To me we need to get rid of this day, I will not celebrate such a horrible person. I cannot think of one good reason for having this holiday.
Christopher Columbus is just like the explorers Hernando Cortez and Francisco Pizarro. They were murderers as well. Francisco Pizarro held the Incan leader Atahualpa hostage. Atahualpa offered to fill a large room with gold and silver for his life but they decided to execute him. Hernando Cortez caused the fall of the Aztec Empire. All of these men made huge impacts on the Native Americans.

Overall I hope that Columbus Day loses its title of “holiday”. I also hope that more people can be informed about the atrocities that Columbus’s men committed. I have read about this subject many times and every time I read about it I learn something new about the horrors of these expeditions.

2 comments:

  1. Quincy,
    You have the same passion about Columbus Day as my mom. She is of native heritage and will not celebrate anything to do with Columbus and several other things that had such a negative impact on the Native Americans. We were not taught this in school however, and because my mother was not raised in the traditions to teach us, I was clueless. I have since learned the history books do not tell all of the truth of history, only what they want us to know. It has only been in the past few years when she explained this to me that I realized how biased the History we are taught is. There is much to learn. Thanks for sharing this.

    Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quincy,
    I totally agree with you on Columbus Day, but another holiday I can't stand is Valentine's Day, not because I don't have a boyfriend or husband as most would say is the reason they hate it. I've been happily married for over 17 years. I just think this holiday is ridiculous. So over rated and over marketed.

    ReplyDelete